Andy Murray: Scot’s second thoughts over decision not to play US Open singles

By Russell Fuller

BBC tennis correspondent in Cincinnati

Murray and his doubles partner Feliciano Lopez won their first round match in Cincinnati on Tuesday

Andy Murray says he has had some second thoughts about his decision not to play singles at the US Open.

Murray lost in straight sets to Richard Gasquet in Cincinnati on Monday in his first singles match for seven months.

Murray had earlier turned down a wildcard for the main draw in New York because he was not convinced his body would be ready for five-set matches.

But the qualifying matches – which begin in New York on Monday – are played over the best of three sets.

“I don’t know why we didn’t really think of it, but it just never crossed my mind until this morning,” Murray told BBC Sport.

“When I woke up, I was like – I want to play three-set matches. I could maybe test myself there, and if I got through qualifying that might show that I’m ready to play there. But too late, unfortunately.”

The US Tennis Association has already announced the names of the nine American men who have received wildcards into the qualifying draw.

The Scot, 32, will now decide, in conjunction with his team, whether to enter next week’s ATP singles event in Winston-Salem.

He is then planning to play doubles and mixed doubles at the US Open, although he is yet to find a partner for either. He will not be able to play with this year’s regular sidekick Feliciano Lopez, as he has agreed to play with Pablo Carreno Busta at the request of Spain’s Davis Cup captain.

“Unfortunately he’s taken, and a lot of the players have partners now,” Murray said.

“It’s not easy to find anyone at this late notice, but I’m sure we’ll get someone.”

In Cincinnati, Murray and Lopez have a second-round doubles match against Ryan Harrison and Jack Sock to look forward to. On Tuesday they beat the fourth seeds Dutchman Jean-Julien Rojer and Romania’s Horia Tecau 3-6 6-3 10-3.

Murray was pleased with the way he played just 24 hours after contesting his first singles match since January’s hip surgery.

“I felt pretty good today,” he said.

“I was a little bit tired, I felt a bit drained – but more mentally rather than physically. I felt fine, so that was positive thing – maybe it showed that I wasn’t running enough!

“I learnt quite a lot from yesterday – about how tough this process is probably going to be, and how long a process it will be until I’m feeling really good on the court again.”

Read More

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here